About the Exhibit
Constructing Gender is a digital version of an exhibit that originally appeared at the University of Michigan Museum of Art in 2017. It was curated by the Bentley Historical Library's Associate Director Nancy Bartlett and Project Archivist Emily Swenson in honor of the University's bicentennial. It was adapted for online display in 2019 by Project Archivist Sarah McLusky.
Material in Constructing Gender comes from the below sources at the Bentley Historical Library. Full citations are included in the exhibit text or the relevant item record.
Archive and Manuscript Collections:
- Alumni Association (University of Michigan) Records
- Michigan Union Records
- Pond Family Papers
- Wilfred B. Shaw Papers
- University of Michigan Dance Card Collection
- Vertical File
- Jessie Church Wetherell Letter
- The Autobiography of Irving K. Pond: The Sons of Mary and Elihu, Irving K. Pond
- The College Union, by Irving K. Pond
- For Michigan Women Everywhere, Women's League Building and Endowment Fund
- The Michigan Daily
- The President's Report to the Board of Regents
A portfolio of additional relevant images can be found in the Bentley's .
The Bentley Historical Library has made the content in this exhibit available for educational and research purposes. Some material may be protected by copyright law. It is the responsibility of anyone interested in reproducing, broadcasting or publishing content from the Bentley Historical Library collections to determine copyright holders and secure permissions accordingly. If you have questions or concerns regarding the inclusion of material in this exhibit, please contact our reference department at firstname.lastname@example.org.